How to Survive the Dog Days of Summer
Summer is officially in session. With kids out of school, the weather warming up and a slower routine hitting calendars, it’s time to shift gears to fully embrace the dog days of summer. Whether you have a house full of kids to entertain or you want to make the most of the next few months, avoiding the summer slump is key. With the right tech devices, accessories and services, your entire family will not only survive the dog days of summer, but you’ll make plenty of memories to carry through all seasons!
Ways to Enjoy the Summer Weather
- Stay cool with a poolside picnic: There’s nothing like being on the water when the sun is shining and the breeze is warm. If you’re hosting a fun day just for the family or throwing a poolside bash, there are a few tips to maximize your poolside picnic. Blast tunes from a waterproof Bluetooth speaker like the compact, portable JBL Clip 4 or the JBL Pulse 4 that’s equipped with a dazzling LED light show that is sure to impress your guests.
- Enjoy an out-of-this-world stargazing experience: If you’re looking for unique summer date night plans or magical activities that will get your kids’ imaginations soaring, look no further than stargazing. Set up blankets and snacks in the backyard on a clear evening and watch the twinkling sky in amazement. Check out a few of the top-rated stargazing apps to download on your device to enhance the experience. SkySafari Pro is a well-designed stargazing app with the largest database of any astronomy app and is available for Android and iOS for a fee. Star Walk 2 is another app where you can see a real-time interactive sky map directly from your phone screen.
- Go for a nature walk: The benefits of going for a walk amongst nature are numerous. You’ll get a little exercise, take in the fresh air and enjoy a bonding activity with the entire family. Of course, there is a way to elevate your summer walks and add an educational component for the kids. The Seek by iNaturalist app allows you to identify the plants and animals that you spot along your journey. Your kids will love earning badges through the app for seeing different types of birds, plants and fungi on your nature walks. School might be out for summer, but the learning can continue with this fun, interactive app.
Tips to Beat the Heat
- Host a family movie night: Family movie nights are fun, cozy, inexpensive and indoors where the AC is refreshing. After spending a long summer day outside, plan a movie night in the living room. Try a family-friendly streaming service like Disney+ and ask about getting the service when upgrading to a Verizon Unlimited plan! You can even add Disney+ to your mobile account.
- Dine at a new restaurant: Backyard BBQs are great but spice up your summer by trying a new local restaurant. If you can’t decide where to make reservations, download a helpful restaurant app like OpenTable where you can easily reserve a table for free or Grubhub, an easy way to browse restaurant menus.
- Check out the latest video games: Stay inside on an extra hot day and enjoy a family video game competition. No matter what game you decide to play, you can up your gaming with surround sound via the JBL Quantum 400 headset that totally immerses you into your favorite games and is compatible with PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox.
Ideas to Keep the Kids Entertained
- Schedule summer reading: Reading can be fun, especially if you download the free Kindle app. Take endless entertainment on summer road trips or when you’re passing the long hot days. Find yours and your kids’ next summer read on Android or iOS, and get started on your iPad or other device of choice.
- Listen to an educational podcast: Podcasts are popular for listeners of all ages. In fact, a recent survey found that approximately half of American teenagers listened to a podcast in 2020, and those between 13 and 17 were the most likely to have listened to a podcast. If you’re searching for a podcast that will boost your knowledge this summer, download Spotify on your smartphone and check out these popular educational podcasts.
- Play educational games: Summertime is all about fun and games. Aside from family board game nights or lawn games, there are plenty of apps you can download on your smartphone or tablet to have a little fun anywhere you go this summer. Color Quest AR is an augmented reality game that revolves around health with a ‘magical look into the human body.’ MentalUp is an educational app for ages four to 13-year-old children, and it’s used across 60 countries.
With a few tips on how to embrace the warm weather, beat the summer heat and keep the little ones entertained, summertime is set to be a blast! Power up your devices and imaginations and splash into fun in the sun, because before you know it, a new season will be upon us. As you make your family plans, be sure to stop into your local Verizon-Victra store to get all the devices and accessories for the most memorable summer ever.