5 Road Trip Must-Haves
Summer days and long weekends are ahead, which means vacation planning is officially in session. In fact, May 27th is National Road Trip Day. As families across the country honor Memorial Day with a long weekend, it’s no wonder everyone is packing the car and hitting the road. During this high-travel time, it’s important to make sure you have everything your family needs for a safe, fun and memorable summer road trip! You’ll likely remember your smartphones, but what about all the other tech devices and accessories that might slip your mind? That’s what we’re here for! Get out your checklist, because these are a few of the top must-haves for your upcoming journey.
1. Phone Mounts for Easy Access
The perfect phone mount will make traveling easier and safer. Whether you’re using your phone for navigation, music or an itinerary guide, it’s best to keep both hands on the wheel and rely on a sturdy phone mount.
- We love how this mount provides easy access to navigation on your device.
- You can make hands-free calls while wirelessly charging your Apple or Samsung phone.
- Safety features are built in to detect foreign objects and prevent potential fire hazards.
- The suction cup base will hold your phone in place even on the curviest paths.
2. Car Chargers for Long Distance
Just imagine, your kids are resting quietly in the backseat watching the latest Disney+ movie on their tablets, when all of a sudden, the device runs out of battery. What would you do? Where would you turn? Not to worry, we have the perfect solution.
- OtterBox charges are durable and built to last for even the longest road trips.
- This charger is drop tested, wrapped in a tough exterior and ready to tag along for your entire vacation.
- Never worry about running out of on-the-road entertainment with two ports for multiple charging.
3. Budgeting Apps for Smart Travels
With the cost of air travel skyrocketing, selecting a road trip might be a smart option for your family. Why not make it the most budget-friendly road trip possible? With your smart device, anything is possible.
- GasBuddy (Rating: Apple 4.7 / Android 4.3): This easy-to-use app helps you find local gas prices, find exclusive offers and track your rewards. You can sort by best prices, location or even search for the right gas station with restrooms for your road trip stops.
- HotelTonight (Rating: Apple 4.9 / Android 4.4): It’s never safe to drive when you’re drowsy, so an app like HotelTonight is ideal to spot last-minute hotel deals during a road trip. From luxury hotels to simple spots to stop, one app will be your guide in finding the right location to rest your eyes before getting back out on the open road.
4. Entertainment for the Road
Time spent with family and friends while on-the-go to your desired destination is priceless. While you’ll most likely spend a few miles talking and laughing, a few entertainment tips can serve as the perfect backdrop for your drive.
- Music: Every road trip needs a soundtrack. What will yours be? Before you hit the road, download a reliable music streaming app like Apple Music or Spotify.
- Podcasts: You might be familiar with your favorite mystery, thriller or educational podcasts, but there are even podcasts for kids. Add a little educational fun to your travels with the ‘Wow in the World’ podcast that features amazing stories about fascinating things happening in the world. Ignite those little imaginations with this family-friendly listening option.
- Audiobooks: Cracking open a book in the backseat of the car or RV is classic, but for long journeys where the family wants to enjoy a story together, audiobooks are the perfect solution. For access to over 300,000 audiobooks, Audible is a great app for IOS and Android users that offers entertainment for everyone in the family.
5. Apps for Safety
Finally, it’s crucial to put safety first while on a road trip. Of course, following all the rules of the road is essential, but there are a few apps to give you peace of mind as you drive for miles.
- Emergency! American Red Cross: This all-hazard app is a must-download before you hit the open road. It’s an easy way to monitor severe weather conditions so you know when it’s safe to be on the road.
- TripWhistle Global: If you’re traveling internationally and driving in a country you’re not familiar with, this app is ideal to easily find and dial local emergency numbers.
- Noonlight: With just one button, this app can get you emergency help whenever needed. It’s a great option for those times when you feel unsafe but aren’t sure whether
- to dial 9-1-1. There’s even an option to press and hold a button during those uneasy moments, and then release the button once you’re safe.
As you pack your bags, fuel up the vehicle and venture out on your summer road trip, we hope these tips will drive your journey to the next level. From helpful travel accessories to apps that assist with smart budgeting and planning, your adventure is sure to be one for the memory books. Don’t forget to swing by your local Verizon Victra Store to pick up any last-minute items to support your travels.