New Year, New You: Tips for Goal Setting in 2022
A new year is more than just a date on the calendar. It’s a new starting line to take off with fresh momentum and motivation to conquer goals and create a life you love. As you step into 2022 with a renewed perspective, it’s important to source different methods to spur you along your journey toward your New Year’s resolutions. Don’t fall into the majority that abandons New Year’s resolutions within just one month, stick to your goals, and watch your dreams come to life.
If you’re ready to become a true goal setter (and goal achiever), then it’s time to rally the right support. We have a few tips and tricks to help you kick off from the starting line and stay focused for the next 12 months. Ready, set, GOAL.
Get Moving, Literally
Sometimes, all it takes is one step in the right direction to create a momentum of movement. Research shows that exercising more and improving fitness is the top New Year’s resolution. So, if you’re looking to get that heart rate going and improve your overall health, it’s time to make a plan and stick with it. Easier said than done, right? Wrong. With a few apps, devices and focus, you’ll be on your way to a healthier 2022.
Your resolutions can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk? Starting a walking routine is the perfect physical activity to implement in the new year.
A few of the many benefits of walking include:
- Improve overall health
- Lose body fat
- Improve cardiovascular fitness
- Improve muscle endurance
- Increase energy levels
- Strengthen immune system
Although listening to the birds chirp and the trees rustle in the wind might be peaceful during a morning walk or exercise routine, listening to music is proven to increase the quality of your workout by increasing stamina and improving your mood. Additionally, music that sets the beat for your exercise pace is shown to have physical and psychological benefits. If you’re a Verizon customer, you can get up to 6 months of Apple Music for free or depending on what Unlimited Plan you are on, it may already be included!
Smartwatches that Spark Movement
- Apple Watch: The Apple Watch is packed with features to support your fitness. Not only can you track your daily movement and sleep wellness, but now there’s a way to dive deeper into your health with the Blood Oxygen and ECG apps. Measure the oxygen level of your blood on-demand within only 15 seconds which can help you better understand your overall wellness. The ECG app is equally as impressive, as it records your heartbeat and rhythm using the electrical heart sensor on the Apple Watch Series 4 and up.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch4 Classic: This watch is engineered to keep you on your fitness path. With an integrative BioActive Sensor that measures ECG in real time, you can monitor your heart rate throughout your workout and easily share it to your Galaxy phone. Did we mention this watch measures body fat, skeletal muscle, body water, body mass index and more? We like to think of this as your fitness accountability partner that never leaves your side…or wrist.
- Fitbit Charge 5: With “fit” right in the name, it’s no wonder this device is one of the best ways to track your daily activity. The built-in GPS tracks real-time pace and distance and allows you to view a map of your workout. As you begin your 2022 fitness routine, the Fitbit Charge 5 uses insights from your body to tell you whether you should jump into workout mode or recovery. Who needs a workout coach when you have this high-tech gadget?
Don’t Forget Your Headphones
- Apple AirPods Pro: What better way to immerse yourself in your workout than to immerse yourself in sounds that motivate? AirPods Pro feature Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode for hearing the sounds around you when needed. The fact that they’re sweat and water resistant means they’re ready to accompany you on your year of fitness.
- JBL Wireless Headphones: These wireless earbuds connect to your device as soon as you take them out of the case. The JBL Wireless Headphones deliver top-notch sound with the JBL Pure Bass, so your workouts will get that automatic energy boost. As if the sound experience wasn’t enough, Dual Connect makes it possible to listen to music or make a call with either one or both earbuds.
- Skullcandy Hesh ANC Wireless Headphones: Looking to cancel out some noise? Hesh ANC will do the trick with digital active noise canceling that is hard to beat. These headphones are comfortable and have up to 22 hours of battery life, so they’re the perfect accessory for your workouts.
Get Your Mind Right
Now that you have a plan to get your body moving, it’s time to focus on a year of mental health. Emotional, psychological and social well-being are all a part of your mental health that affect how you cope with life. Mental health even plays into your physical health and impacts the way we deal with stress, manage relationships and contribute to the community. With the many benefits of a healthy mind, let’s take a look at some ways to set and keep goals for a better mindset.
Knowledge is Power:
Check out these 5 books on Goal Setting or this expansive list from Physocology Today.
- Creating your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide – Caroline Adams Miller and Michael B. Frisch
- Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals – Michael Hyatt
- The Book of Mistakes: 9 Secrets to Creating a Successful Future – Skip Prichard
- Nine Things Successful People Do Differently – Heidi Grant Halvorson
- Big Potential: Five Secrets of Reaching Higher by Powering Those Around You – Shawn Anchor
Apps That Every Goal Setter Needs
You’re moving your body, you’re getting into the right headspace and you have the knowledge and tech accessories to get you there. Now, let’s explore some top-rated apps to send your resolutions into overdrive.
- Down Dog (App Store 4.9 / Google Play 4.9): The yoga app that is beginner-friendly and has over 60,000 different configurations so your zen never grows dull.
- Headspace (App Store 4.9 / Google Play 4.5): Get in the right headspace this year with guided meditation, sleep meditation and breathing exercises.
- Workout Trainer (App Store 4.7 / Google Play 4.4): If you’re new to the workout scene, then this app will help slowly guide you into daily workout routines that only require your body weight. Thousands of free workouts are waiting for you this year in Workout Trainer.
- Fiit (Store 4.8 / Google Play 4.4): Fiit has been available to UK users for a while, but it’s finally available in the US just in time for your 2022 goals. These workouts can be done from home and are led by world-class trainers.
- MyFitnessPal (App Store 4.7 / Google Play 4.5): If you’re looking to build healthier eating habits in the new year, this app is an easy all-in-one calorie and macro tracker.
Don’t just mosey into 2022, gain the momentum, energy and focus to catapult into a new year with a healthy lifestyle and goals that you can’t wait to meet. Snag a few new devices or accessories to join you on your journey, and don’t forget to cheer others on as we make this year our best year yet. Stop by and visit our friendly team members at your local Verizon Victra Store for more information on devices to reach your goals.