Smart Ways to De-Stress with Your Device
Take a deep breath in through your nose– one, two, three four…and now, exhale through your mouth, slowly for eight seconds. Do you feel better already? Deep breathing is a powerful stress relieving technique, and with April being Stress Awareness Month, it’s time to explore all the ways we can de-stress. With that, consider viewing your device as not only smart, but health conscious. While smartphones sometimes get a bad rap for being the hub for stress triggers like social media apps and forums where online bullies lurk, your device can also be used for good. Let’s explore a few ways that devices and accessories can help you unplug and unwind this Stress Awareness Month.
While smartphones can house apps that keep us scrolling for hours, there are many apps that spur us on to lead better, healthier lives.
Download Apps to Ease Anxiety
- Sanvello: Apple- 4.8/Google- 4.6: Sanvello is an app that provides multiple methods of support to reduce anxiety and depression. The beauty of this stress-reducing app is that users can get help wherever they go, as long as their phone is in hand. The four types of support offered via the app are: self-care, peer support, coaching and therapy. It’s simple to manage symptoms and track progress. Who knows, by next month your stress levels might be much lower after implementing some of the helpful tools and techniques.
- Happify: Apple- 4.5/Google- 3.5: Happify is all about overcoming negative thoughts to break old patterns and form new patterns for a stress-free lifestyle. Created by scientists and experts in the field of positive psychology, mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy, this app is one to try. Rather than having a set appointment with a counselor, this app can be tapped into anytime, anywhere from your device.
- Breathe2Relax: Apple- 4.3/Google- 3.6: Breathe2Relax teaches a special skill called diaphragmatic breathing. See, we told you breathing techniques were powerful in stress reduction! This type of breathing is also referred to as ‘belly breathing,’ and it’s a relaxation skill utilized in several different therapy types, including cognitive behavior therapy. Guided practice sessions via the app help users acquire this special breathing skill with the goal of relaxing and reducing stress.
Set Smart Boundaries with Your Smart Device
Limit social media: While social media has many advantages and can bring much joy, like anything else, it’s best to not overdo it. If you find yourself mindlessly scrolling through your collection of social apps only to lift your eyes hours later to notice your entire evening disappeared into the blackhole of your phone, you’re not alone. Research shows that people who use seven or more social sites are three times more likely to suffer from anxiety compared to those who use two or fewer. To avoid the social media burnout, consider downloading an app to track and limit your social media usage. The StayFree app is one great option that allows you to monitor your phone usage, receive notifications of overuse, track social media time and restrict the usage of apps at certain times.
Minimize alerts: Receiving alerts on your device throughout the day is beneficial. Your morning alarm, the calendar reminder to wish your friend a happy birthday, the breaking news alert to keep you in-the-know, but getting alerted for all things at all times can feel stressful. Reduce the stress from phone alerts by taking advantage of the iPhone Focus setting. Sometimes we all just need a moment, and you can turn on the Focus setting to better concentrate on something else or simply detach from the needs and requests that your phone brings. There are many options within the Focus setting to choose your type of Focus, allow notifications from certain people, share your Focus status with others and more.
Unplug and De-stress with Wireless Accessories
Use your devices and accessories for good this Stress Awareness Month! With the rapid evolution of technology, we’re no longer constrained to electrical outlets to fully enjoy the latest devices that promote a life of relaxation. You can say goodbye to stress and hello to peace with a few of these devices.
- JBL Flip 6 Portable Waterproof Speaker: If a peaceful soundtrack is what it takes for you to decompress and relax, then this portable speaker can go wherever you go to make that possible. Float in the pool to soothing sounds, meditate in the garden with calming rhythms or practice your breathing techniques to a beat.
- PureGear Wireless Charging Pad: Relax, you don’t have to worry about your phone running out of fuel even when you’re outside enjoying nature. Remove the stress of low phone batteries by taking the Pure Gear Wireless Charging Pad everywhere you go. No wires, no stress.
- PureGear Steel 360 Tempered Glass: If protecting your phone causes you to stress or worry, this screen protector will put your mind at ease. Breathe a sigh of relief, because you can have industry-leading protection for your iPhone, Samsung, Motorola and Google devices with this tempered glass protection.
Exhale your worries this Stress Awareness Month and allow your device and accessories to aid you on your anxiety-free journey. From apps to help ease anxiety, features to set healthy device boundaries and accessories that offer peace of mind, you’ll be on the right path to lower stress levels and attain a more balanced state of mind. Of course, it’s important to always seek professional help for your mental health needs, but we hope these simple de-stress tips and tricks support your stress-free goals. Our Verizon Victra team members are ready to help you find your next smart device or accessory during Stress Awareness Month and beyond, and we promise to make your shopping experience as stress-free as possible!